From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hawthorne, New York
Hawthorne is an unincorporated hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) located in the town of Mount Pleasant in Westchester County, New York. The population was 5,083 at the 2000 census.
The village was originally known as Hammond's Mills, and was part of Frederick Philipse's estate Philipsburgh. On September 23, 1783 Major John André stopped here on his way to New York to ask directions after meeting with Benedict Arnold.
After the Revolutionary War, the name of the village changed to Unionville. The hamlet's population consisted mostly of farmers. The Reformed Church of Unionville (Hawthorne Reformed Church) was built here in 1818. In 1832, a one-room school house was built. In 1847, a railroad station was established on New York Central's Harlem Division, with the name Unionville. A post office was also established on February 10, 1851, and was designated Neperan after the Indian name for the Saw Mill River.
In the early 1890's real-estate developer Louis Smadbeck began buying up the area farms to sell as subdivide into parcels, which were sold to working and middle class people looking to escape the city.
In 1901, Rose Hawthorne Lathrop, also known as Mother Mary Alphonsa, O.P., a convert to Catholicism and daughter of Nathaniel Hawthorne, founded Rosary Hill Home in Sherman Park (now Thornwood) for those suffering from incurable cancer. Mother Mary Alphonsa also founded a Dominican Order now known as the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne. Shortly after the opening of the cancer home, the hamlet was renamed Hawthorne in Mother Mary Alphonsa's honor.
Rosary Hill Home is still operated by the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne consistent with its original mission and is located on a hilltop on Linda Avenue.
Hawthorne is the final resting place of Babe Ruth, James Cagney, Billy Martin, Ernesto Lecuona and many other notables interred at Gate of Heaven Cemetery.
Hawthorne is located at 41.10361; -73.79583 (41.103664, -73.795807).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the hamlet has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.4 km²), all land.
Bounded by Route 9A to the west, the Taconic State Parkway to the east, and split in the middle by the Sprain Brook Parkway, Hawthorne lies at the near dead center of Westchester County.
Corporate parks and nurseries line Hawthorne's Route 9A corridor. Commerce Street (Route 141), the main commercial thoroughfare serving both Hawthorne and Thornwood, runs north to south, parallel to Metro North's Harlem Line tracks. It is a 40 minute train ride from the Hawthorne station to Grand Central Terminal.
The majority of Hawthorne consists of residential homes, and small businesses. Stores on Elwood Avenue consist of the Hawthorne Station Deli (also known as the "Railroad Deli"), Pop's Deli, and Hawthorne Pizzeria. The Max service station on Route 141 sells gasoline by the liter.
On July 12, 2006 an F2 tornado struck the hamlet, causing major damage to the California Closets Warehouse and minor injuries to 3 people. It was the strongest tornado to strike in Westchester County. This tornado proves that twisters can strike anywhere even in New York City area suburbs. Damage also occurred at an Applebee's restaurant, the Oriental Diner and a few other businesses.
Hawthorne's residents are served by the Mount Pleasant Central School District, which includes the Hawthorne Elementary School, Westlake Middle School and Westlake High School (the latter two actually located in Thornwood).
Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services (formerly "Jewish Board Of Guardians") runs two residential schools in Hawthorne, "The Hawthorne Cedar Knolls School" and "The Linden Hill School", both of these schools are on Linda Avenue.