From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ardsley, New York
Ardsley is a village in Westchester County, New York, United States. The population was 4,269 at the 2000 census.
The Village of Ardsley is located in the Town of Greenburgh.
The Ardsley post office serves the entire village of Ardsley plus some nearby unicorporated sections of the Town of Greenburgh.
The Ardsley Union Free School District consists of the entire Village of Ardsley plus parts of the Village of Dobbs Ferry and Town of Greenburgh. Every location served by the Ardsley post office is in the Ardsley Union Free School District.
Phillipse's heir and grandson, a loyalist, fled his holdings during the American Revolution. The entirety of the estate was seized by the new government, and was sold in portions to patriots who had been tenants of the Phillipse family.
The village of Ashford was formed from some of these portions, named for the main road. Notable businesses included a blacksmith, and a sawmill and grist mill both situated upon the Saw Mill River. Three pickle factories were in operation by the Civil War, and in the 1880s the construction of the Putnam Railroad and New Croton Aqueduct led to a population boom which saw the installation of electric lighting and improved roads. Due to the presence of an earlier Ashford Post Office in New York state, the town took the name "Ardsley" after the name of a local baron's estate, and the first village postmaster was appointed in 1883.
The naming of Ardsley is attributed to Cyrus W. Field, who owned 780 acres (3.2 km2) of land lying between Broadway (Dobbs Ferry) and Sprain Brook (Greenburgh) named Ardsley Park. He had named Ardsley Park after the English birthplace of his immigrant ancestor, Zechariah Field (East Ardsley, West Riding, Yorkshire, England), who immigrated to the U.S. in 1629. The story told growing up in Ardsley by elderly neighbors is that Cyrus W. Field agreed to use his influence to get the post office established and in return, the village would be renamed Ardsley. The information about Zechariah Field and Ardsley Park came from Diane Druin Gravlee, great-great-granddaughter of Cyrus W. Field.
Incorporated in 1896, Ardsley would continue to grow at a steady pace, until a fire destroyed the village center in 1914. This led to the reconstruction of several buildings, and the establishment of a fire department in the former schoolhouse. Two more population booms would follow, the first spanning the time between the end of the first World War and the beginning of the Depression, and the second following World War II. This second boom led to the eventual construction of several village schools, including Concord Road Elementary School (1952), Ardsley High School (1958), and Ardsley Middle School (1967). The village was also greatly changed by the construction of the New York State Thruway in the late 1950s, which resulted in both the loss of the Ardsley station on the Putnam Division of the New York Central Railroad and the loss of much of the downtown business district.
Ardsley has a library that is a member of the Westchester Library System.